Tour Stop: After Dark by Emi Gayle

Thursday 29 November 2012.

After Dark (The 19th Year, #1)After Dark by Emi Gayle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As one of my most anticipated reads this year, I'm happy to say that After Dark didn't disappoint. Emi Gayle did an excellent job in building Mac's world, where she lives as a human during the day but can change to any super natural creature at night, as easily as taking a breath. But when she reaches 19, she must choose which creature she wants to be for the rest of her life.

By the time most changelings have reached the age of 18, as Mac is now, they've already made their decision. But Mac has no clue as to what she will choose and is starting to feel pressured to make a decision.

One night, she sees Winn, a geek guy from school leaving the library with a book she knows is about her former home. She knows she needs to see this book as she asked very few questions about herself while she was growing up and now feels it's information she needs to know. She doesn't even know where she came from. She has been raised by a faery mother and vampire who aren't her real parents and aren't even a couple, just her guardians. She feels the need to know more about herself before she'll be armed with the right information to make her decision.

Mac is a great main character, obviously tough and mostly unafraid, no need to be when she can become anything she wants so easily. But I did find it a bit ridiculous that she didn't know something as basic as where she came from, and had never questioned any of this information. She loathes humans and the fact that she has to spend her days in the human world. So when she appears to be in danger, she's not happy to hear that the best way for her to stay safe is to spend even more time with humans.

Winn is a hot geek and extremely likeable character. I really enjoyed the relationship he had with Mac and their interactions together. They have a slow build romance which I love. There is a fantastic host of secondary characters in this book which contribute to making this a thoroughly enjoyable read.

There is mystery and suspense as we learn about changelings along with Mac while also trying to figure out who's behind the attacks on her.

An interesting plot with a sweet romance, no love triangle and no cliffhanger. What more could I ask for. I'm really looking forward to book 2, Day After.


Buy the book: The Book Depository/Amazon

I was lucky enough to have Emi stop by and answer a few questions for us. So, let's get started.

Why don't you start by telling us a little bit about yourself.

So I'm copying in my bio here, because it's seriously me!

I just want to be young again. I live vicariously through my youthful characters, while simultaneously acting as chief-Mom to my teenaged son and searching for a way to keep my two daughters from ever reaching the dreaded teen years.

Ironically, those years were some of my favorite times. I met the man of my dreams at 14, was engaged to him at 19, married him at 20 and yes, I'm still in love with him to this day. I'll never forget what it was like to fall in love at such a young age — emotions I want everyone to feel.

Where did the inspiration for The 19th Year series come from?

It just popped into my head one day - quite literally. That's about how all my stories do. One day I'm sitting there and BAM! story idea. For this one, that happened with the question: what would happen if someone turned 19 and had to pick the one "career" she'd have for the rest of her life. Knowing that's not totally possible in the human world, I went paranormal and tada! After Dark. :)

I really enjoyed Mac's character and her devil may care attitude. Is she based on you or anyone you know?

She really does have a devil may care attitude, doesn't she? She's not particularly based on any one person, but is more a combination of lots of stubborn people. Funny, though, one of my daughters is far too like Mac. It's really scary.

Mac is faced with a very difficult decision which I would struggle to make. If you had to make this choice, what would you choose?
Oooh, that's a question that is so very very selfish of me. "I" would be a shapeshifter, but even that's a tough sell for Mac!

Is this a trilogy or do you have more books planned in the series? 

Trilogy! Yup. Book 2 comes out in May 2013. Book 3 comes out in January 2014.

Thank you Emi for answering my questions. I'm really looking forward to Day After and seeing how Mac gets on under the tutelage of Winn.


Find Emi online : Web | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

7 Comments:

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

Huh! I've seen this book around but I was never really curious about it until now. It sounds very interesting and I'm very curious to find out what she chose to become in the end. I love that the love interest is a geek, too!
Sounds wonderful! Thanks for the lovely review and the interview, Suzanne. And the giveaway, of course. :)

Emi J. Gayle said...

Thanks SO much for having me today! :)

And Maja - I hope you enjoy Mac's story!

Jasprit said...

Oh this is a fab review and guest post Suzanne and Emi! I don't think it's something that I would normally pick up, but the hot geek, lack of cliffhanger and love triangle you have me convinced! :)

Sam @ Realm of Fiction said...

A geeky love interest and steady-paced romance? Yes, please! I loved the sound of this book when I first came across it, especially as the main character is a little older than most tend to be in YA books, so I'm pleased to know you enjoyed it. Great review and interview! :)

♥Rachel♥ said...

Slow building romance with a hot geek?! Sign me up! I also fell in love at a young age and married him. We're still in love and together. Congrats to you Emi, it's not always easy but it's so worth it. :)

Heidi said...

I like the hot geek part. I think I will have to check this out. I am glad it ended up being a good read for you. I also like that the next two are releasing quickly, no long waits!

Jennifer Messerschmidt said...

I've been anticipating this one for a long time too! I love changelings and find it really interesting that at 19 she has to pick just one thing to turn into for the rest of her life. I am excited for a great romance with geeky love and no love triangle. Winn sounds like my kind of male love interest! Great review and thanks for the giveaway!

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments so please feel free to post.

This is an award and tag free blog.

 
Paranormal Pages © Copyright 2010 | Design By Gothic Darkness |